Get Help Applying For Disability Benefits
If you have a disability, it can feel daunting to apply for Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The initial application involves an intimidating amount of information and verification. The good news is that you don’t have to prepare it alone.
At the Law Offices of Daniel Berger in New York City, we help people with disabilities pursue the SSI and SSD benefits they deserve, beginning with a strong initial application. Our firm has focused solely on this area of law since 1996. We’re familiar with the challenges that can crop up during the application process, and we know how to help you succeed.
Here, you will find a caring and supportive legal team dedicated to guiding you through the process, step by step.
Why A Lawyer Can Make All The Difference
It may be tempting to complete and file the initial application on your own. Your friends and relatives may also be encouraging you to handle it on your own and only ask for help from a lawyer to appeal in the event your application is not approved.
However, do-it-yourself is not a wise option for SSD or SSI benefits. Missteps could result in delays and denials that prevent you from getting the benefits you deserve in a timely fashion.
Here are a few reasons to give our lawyers a call before filing an initial application for benefits on your own:
- We know what it takes to qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance benefits SSD benefits and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- We will review your work history to determine whether it meets SSD guidelines to qualify.
- We will review your medical records in a thorough and detailed manner to determine whether they support a claim based on disability or blindness.
- We can help you gather the right documentation and evidence to ensure that you submit an accurate, complete and strong initial application to increase your chances of success.
- We can represent you in any subsequent Social Security hearings or further appeals, drawing on the in-depth knowledge we have gained about your case by handling it from the outset.
Our experience and knowledge of the Social Security process – and specifically, how they will evaluate your applications – enables us to anticipate potential problems or issues and fix them before filing. This proactive approach avoids delays and has allowed us to achieve a proven record of successfully helping our clients receive the benefits they need and deserve.
Laying The Groundwork For A Strong Appeal
A large percentage of SSD applications that initially get denied are later granted through the appeals process. It’s important to be aware that you initial application became part of the record in your cases, meaning it will follow you throughout the process.
Coming to us early in the application process can expedite the process should it become necessary to appeal a denial of the initial application. Our early involvement means that we have a head start gathering and reviewing medical resources and other evidence to use in the appeal of the decision.
Does Your Impairment Qualify For Benefits?
You must be disabled to qualify for disability benefits. Social Security disability (SSD) Insurance benefits and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) cases are complex and challenging. At the Law Offices of Daniel Berger, we focus our practice exclusively on Social Security Disability law, so we understand the intricacies of what exactly qualifies as a disability.
The Social Security Administration has determined that some physical and mental impairments meet its severity standard and includes those conditions in a listing of Impairments, which some people continue to refer to as the “Blue Book.” Common mental health and physical disorders on the listing include the following:
- Psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and anxiety
- Health conditions such as heart disease, fibromyalgia, arthritis, diabetes, complex regional pain syndrome (reflex sympathetic dystrophy), long-term covid effects, lupus, chronic headaches, blood disorders, liver disease, and back and neck problems
- Impairments such as speech disorders and eyesight problems
One area where our firm shines is in handling disability cases involving psychiatric disorders. These cases can be challenging, as they’re often not as visible or apparent as purely physical maladies. Our attorneys know how to prepare strong disability applications for clients suffering from disabling mental health conditions.
Get Help With Your Disability Application
When you have questions about how to qualify for benefits and how to submit the strongest possible application, we promise to be there with answers and sound advice based on our years of experience and insight into SSD laws and regulations. Our record of success speaks for itself.
Start today with a free consultation: Call 718-691-7475 or send us an email. We have multiple convenient offices throughout the New York City area.